Distinctive/Spectrum Joint Venture has an opportunity for a PRN Civilian Phlebotomist Position with Saturday availability at Dumfries Health Center in Dumfries, Virginia.
This position provides phlebotomy services in support of patient care and treatment.
- Perform phlebotomy in accordance with established standard operating procedures, American Association of Blood Bank guidelines, and Food and Drug Administration regulations.
- Greets patients, reviews lab request form, schedules appointments, Verifies or records identity of patient and converses with patient or donor to allay fear of procedure, and prepares specimen labels.
- Confirms that patient has met dietary requirements for prescribed test, and the correct test has been ordered.
- Collects blood samples from adults & children using venipuncture or capillary puncture.
- Processes blood specimen using preservative or anti-coagulant as required by test procedures.
- Instructs patients regarding the collection and packaging of other specimens such as urine, semen, and feces.
- May perform waived testing such as urine dips as part of patient preparation for specimen collection.
- Recognize and initiate appropriate measures in emergency situations following SOP.
- Properly ship blood products to processing facility in accordance with established standard operating procedures.
- Affixes labels on specimens and prepare specimens for shipment to appropriate laboratory for testing.
- Arranges for special specimen transport when necessary.
- Disposes of biological waste, needles, & related hazardous materials.
- Communicates w/ medical, clinical, & technical staff to resolve problems regarding specimens.
- Follows defined laboratory procedures & maintains awareness of changes to procedures.
- Performs administrative duties such as preparation of reports & the storage of laboratory & office supplies.
- Complete facility specific training and competency training as assigned.
- Assist with other duties as needed and assigned.