Distinctive/Spectrum Joint Venture has an opportunity for a Part Time Medical Assistant with Day time availability Monday-Saturday at the Dumfries Health Center in Dumfries, Virginia.
This position provides medical assistant services in support of patient care and treatment.
- Performs a variety of receptionist and other clerical duties in support of patient care for the family practice, or like clinic, in FHC’s. This will include but not limited to open access scheduling and assist in creating a patient-centered health clinic.
- Verifies patient information in CHCS. If information is incorrect, updates information to include Other Health Insurance (OHI).
- Ensures all treatment requested by the provider has been scheduled/ordered.
- Greets all visitors and determines the nature of the visit. Checks ID cards and verifies DEERS eligibility. Checks in patients and annotates patient’s appointment time and the time they reported in. Obtains patient’s medical records and places patient’s medical record in appropriate location. Ensure third party collection form is current. Ensure all supporting documents in medical records are properly identified.
- Screens walk-in patients for eligibility for treatment. Makes medical identification card and completes third party insurance information and advance directives paperwork, if necessary.
- Answers telephone in 30 seconds or less; obtains identifying information and determines the urgency of the call. Refers caller to appropriate staff member. Takes messages as appropriate. Applies clinic guidelines concerning release of patient information. Transfers misdirected calls to the appropriate number.
- Attempts to resolve complaints of an administrative nature and refers other complaints to appropriate authority. Provides requested information and assistance to patients whenever possible; refers patients to other appropriate sources for information if necessary.
- Maintains and stock forms and inventory needed at front desk.
- Performs various other clerical tasks to assist clinical staff members including obtaining pathology reports, x-rays, or other results from the specialty areas. Responsible for tracking of some reports including logging return of pathology reports in a computerized database.
- As required, types routine correspondence, medical statements, and memorandums as directed by the clinical staff.
- Act as a liaison between front office and providers to ensuring timely and orderly patient flow.
- Use of aseptic technique and comply with universal precautions.
- Maintaining supplies, equipment, stocking and sterilization of instruments.
- Responsible for daily inventory of each room.
- Record patient interview, history and chief complaint.
- Performing first aid and CPR.
- Prepare patients for examinations and other minor office procedures.
- Assist the physician with examinations and treatments.
- Perform selected diagnostic tests within the scope of Medical Assistant practice.
- Perform venipuncture and collection of other lab specimens.
- Provide patient privacy and comply with HIPAA.
- Practicing OSHA safety standards.
- Disposing of bio-hazardous waste according to OSHA standards.
- Perform accurate, legal and ethical documentation at all times.
- Assist with other duties as needed and assigned.