Distinctive/Spectrum Joint Venture has an opportunity for a Full Time Civilian Administrative Assistant with 7:30 am - 4 pm Monday - Friday availability at Fairfax Health Center in Fairfax, Virginia.
This position provides a variety of receptionist and other clerical duties in support of patient care and treatment.
- Work primarily as an appointment and reception clerk.
- Perform receptionist duties and other various clerical tasks to assist staff members as necessary.
- Verify patient information and make corrections if needed with each request for an outpatient visit.
- Use computer terminal to input patient information and book the appointment by inputting appropriate codes for various types of appointments, patient’s military status, health care provides, etc. Maintain data manually and input later when system is down.
- Ensure all tests/treatment and procedures requested by the provider have been scheduled; reschedule appointments when necessary.
- Add patient names to waiting list, if necessary. Call patient on waiting list when appointments become available.
- Greet all visitors and determine the nature of the visit. Check ID cards check in patients electronically using computer terminal; or manually if the system is down. If required, annotate patient’s appointment time and the time they reported in. Place patient’s medical record in appropriate location. Fill out third party collection sheet for patients who have other health insurance.
- Insert date and time stamps and clinic and patient identifying information on all supporting documents in medical records.
- Screen walk-in patients to determine purpose of visit and eligibility for treatment. Explain clinic appointment procedures and coordinate walk-in appointments. Observe patient for obvious signs of discomfort, illness or distress and notify professional staff of perceived emergencies.
- Answer telephone; obtain identifying information and determine the urgency of the call. Refer caller to appropriate staff member. Take messages. Apply clinic guidelines concerning release of patient information. Transfer misdirected calls to the appropriate number.
- Explain delays in schedules as appropriate. Attempt to resolve clinic complaints of an administrative nature and refer other complaints to appropriate authority. Provide requested information and assistance to patients whenever possible; refer them to other appropriate sources for information if necessary.
- Perform various other clerical tasks to assist staff members. For example, assure technicians have their appointment rosters and administrative medical records and use computer terminal to obtain requested patient information. Call patient from waiting area and escort them to exam room as required.
- Maintain/stock forms needed at front desk.
- Type routine correspondence, progress reports, medical statements, and memoranda as required with proper format, spelling and punctuation.
- Assist with other duties as needed and assigned