Distinctive/Spectrum Joint Venture has an opportunity for a Full Time Civilian Lab Assistant at the Dumfries Health Center in Dumfries, Virginia.
JOB TITLE: Laboratory Assistant
This position provides laboratory services in support of patient care and treatment.
- Prepares the phlebotomy area by ensuring adequate amounts of laboratory and administrative supplies are available at all times.
- Assists providers and nursing staff with ordering tests.
- Performs venous and capillary punctures for patients ranging in age from newborn to elderly.
- Maintains the physical privacy, confidentiality, and rights of patients at all times.
- Interacts professionally with patients and staff.
- Labels specimens with the patient’s name and identification number and ensures they match the laboratory requests.
- Handles and disposes of needles, other sharps, and bio-hazardous waste in accordance with clinic policies.
- Follows proper infection control procedures during each patient care event.
- Assists Laboratory Supervisor and Laboratory Technicians with other laboratory duties.
- Promotes a safe and secure clinic environment by keeping the Laboratory Department’s hallways, blood drawing room, and other work areas clean and free of obstacles.
- Collects specimens, as directed, including blood.
- Maintains cleanliness of laboratory area and equipment.
- Requisitions laboratory supplies to maintain adequate inventory.
- Properly documents all written test logs and the tracking system for in-house and reference laboratory requests.
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned.